January 11, 2022
Roam Digital is a full-service digital consultancy. We design, build and grow successful digital products and services that millions of people all over the globe love to use.
With 14 offices across Australia, New Zealand, Singapore and the United States, we’ve become the go-to partner for some of the world’s best brands — including eBay, Commonwealth Bank of Australia, Vodafone, Disney+ and humm group, among many others.
Across every engagement, our focus is on providing high-quality solutions to facilitate success and growth for our clients. This emphasis on excellence is reflected in our culture, which is performance-driven and encourages collective learning and professional development, underpinned by diversity. We are proud of the diverse backgrounds, experiences, identities and ways of thinking represented by our Roamers, and believe it’s a key ingredient in creating the best digital experiences.
Your new job
The role of Engineering Manager is to be an effective leader, focused on managing teams of Engineers, and enacting the associated processes for high impact results.
The Engineering Manager drives the practice of Engineering, focusing on the Mobile Chapter (frameworks, tools, best practices). This role is expected to continuously improve the practice, facilitating knowledge sharing across the chapter with the other Engineering Managers.
Partnering closely with the Head of Mobile, other Engineering Managers and Principal Engineers, the Mobile Engineering Manager enables executing on the team-wide strategy and goals.
The Engineering manager directly manages the AUS Mobile Chapter, up until senior level. Especially when the number of reports is lower, this is still a "player-coach" role with the ability to do partial individual contributor work.
In order to be successful in this, the Engineering Manager develops coaching skills to drive career development and skills assessments, is heavily involved in recruitment and talent pipelining for the Chapter, conducts 1-1s, and performance reviews with the team. The Engineering Manager has the ability to motivate, give clear direction and feedback and lead other Engineers to be effective and develop in their roles.
What you know
- Can facilitate collaborative group activities and/or workshops with colleagues or clients
- Nothing gets past them. Actively puts in place process and documentation to improve quality beyond their own remit. Regularly changes the quality bar of the people around them. Able to diagnose systematic failures leading to low quality output.
- Is capable of shaping and coordinating activities on project work, including those involving other colleagues or clients.
- Can present formally to an audience in a clear, compelling and articulate manner.
- Proactively reaches out to support colleagues when they appear in need of help or guidance.
- Can plan and facilitate feedback or critique sessions with clients.
- Builds advanced, reusable architectures that pioneer best practices and enable peers to work more effectively.
- Builds and reviews mobile projects from conception and demonstrates a nuanced understanding of mobile constraints. Quickly and cleanly interprets, recreates, and locates complex issues or crashes on an unknown product and its connected services. Works to identify these issues preemptively on projects in development.
- Understands the theory behind established Backend architectures, and implementation practices.
- Uses a few DevSecOps tools and technologies to continuously improve and increase the use of automation to drive velocity, quality, scalability, security. Needs assistance and guidance from more experienced peers fairly often.
- Understands the theory behind established Frontend architectures, and implementation practices.
- Provides advice and guidance on security strategies to manage identified risks and ensure adoption and adherence to standards
- Brand new office space in Surry Hills
- Remote & flexible working options to suit you
- Great exposure to the tech scene, working with top talent globally - web devs, mobile devs, designers, testers, product managers - so much to see, so much to learn!
- Working with genuinely awesome, ambitious and collaborative people. A combo that is hard to find and we have 100+ of them
- Collective learning culture, with loads of support and structured development plans - we will help you grow!
- Secondment and travel opportunities to our global offices
- Roam is an NZ and Australian Accredited employer - sponsorship on offer for the right person.
Please apply for further information and comprehensive job description.